Below is a list of some useful resources available on the internet:
- There is also a page on 'Manual Handling risks in your industry' - with both general information, and specific information for warehouse and logistics.
- WorkSafe has produced a number of publications (Guidance Notes/H&S Solutions) specifically to do with Pallets:
- Storage Industry Portable framing system - pallets
- Pallets - loading and unloading
- Pallets - Unloading items - using a bulk delivery method
- Pallets - Loading and unloading items - using vacuum lifters
- Pallets - Loading and unloading items - using automation
- Pallets - Handling items above shoulder height
Pallet racking maintenance
- UK Retail union Usdaw has produced a guide: Distributing Safety - An Usdaw guide to health and safety in warehouses for safety reps working in warehouses. The guide contains guidance on slips and trips, manual handling, vehicle movements, lift trucks, falls from height, work in chillers and freezers, storage systems and welfare.
- WorkSafe Victoria's Transport Industry webpage and also:
- Cash in Transit - 32 page publication outlining practical guidance for Cash In Transit (CIT) employers, and duties of designers, managers, contractors and employees. The publication covers risk management, safety and security risk assessment, vehicles and robbery.
- Prevention of falls in the transport of waste and recyclables
- Prevention of falls in the transport of steel
- A number of relevant Injury Hotspots such as Road Freight Industry, Tyre Fitters and Slips, Trips and Falls
- The National Heavy Vehicle Regulator - the NHVR is Australia's independent Regulator for all vehicles over 4.5 tonnes gross vehicle mass. The NHVR administers one set of laws for heavy vehicles under the Heavy Vehicle National Law (HVNL), delivering a comprehensive range of services under a consistent regulatory framework. It is responsible for a range of matters including a national driver work diary and risk classification system for advanced fatigue management.
- Guide to Occupational Health and Safety – Transport Industry [pdf] produced by the Transport Industry Safety Group. The guide was first produced in 1997 and revised several times by the Transport Industry Safety Group. The current (5th) edition was revised in 2006.
- The Victorian Transport Association has safety information on their website, including a number of downloadable Safety Fact Sheets, DVDs and more.
- From Transport Safety Victoria: a guide Managing Difficult Passengers for bus operators on how to manage the risks posed by difficult or aggressive passengers. The problem of who to deal with passengers is an on-going issue for bus drivers.
- The Service Station Safety website has been developed in cooperation between the Shop Distributive and Allied Employees Association (SDA) and the Victorian Automobile Chamber of Commerce (VACC) to provide practical advice to the independent service station industry relating to Occupational Health and Safety matters. Resources on the site include checklist, products trialled and much more.
- From SafeWorkNSW: Collection of Domestic Waste: Code of Practice (2015) [pdf] - a practical guide to achieving the standard of safety required by the state's WHS Act n the collection of domestic waste.
- The NSW Occupational Health and Safety Amendment (Long Distance Truck Driver Fatigue) Regulation 2005, took effect on 1 March 2006. The Regulation requires employers of drivers and head carriers, undertaking this type of work, to ensure that the risk of harm arising from truck driver fatigue is either eliminated or appropriately managed. They will also need to develop and implement Driver Fatigue Management Plans (DFMPs) in consultation with their affected employees/drivers. NSW WorkCover has published a range of practical guidance materials for long distance truck driver fatigue on the Road freight transport section of its website.
- From the UK's HSE:
- Workplace transport page - has a range of resources;
- Waste management and transport; with specific guidance documents which can be downloaded (eg Safe transport in waste management and recycling facilities)
- Workplace Transport Inspection Pack [pdf]
- Waste management and recycling for employers, managers, supervisors and workers to help them remove or reduce the risk of injury caused by waste/recycling collection vehicles operating in the street
- Load Safety - which demonstrates how secure loads safely on vehicles
Last amended May 2020