Here are some resources of interest to the rural sector:
From WorkSafe Victoria:
- Farming Industry Webpage.
- A Practical Guide to Safety in the Dairy, takes a risk management approach to farm safety. Hazards addressed in the publication include confined spaces, manual handling, working at heights and chemical handling. This publication was updated in May, 2006
- Beef Cattle Handling: A practical guide - provides information on safe cattle handling, how to make existing yards safer and ensure safety features are included in the design of new yards. It includes zoonotic diseases and handling chemicals in yards.
- Falls Prevention in the Agriculture Sector gives an overview of the Falls Prevention Regulations 2003 (now part of the 2007 Regulations) and provides assistance to farmers in identifying hazards, assessing and controlling risks in a wide variety of farming industries where employees/contractors/persons are required to work or access building or structures. In addtion to this, there is a series of guidance notes to support the prevention of falls regulations (the number available has been reduced):
- Falls Prevention Above ground fuel tanks
- Falls Prevention Farm Forest Pruning
- Prevention Of Falls In The Transport Of Livestock
- Prevention of Falls Working on Roofs
- Fall Protection for Roof Work
- Guidance Note: Working Safely with Trees - includes advice on controlling hazards and falls prevention
- A guidance note for farmers working with effluent ponds and tractors issued after a farmer drowned
- Separation Of Cattle And People While Loading Cattle At Saleyards - providing provides simple design solutions for preventing injuries while loading cattle at saleyards
- Quad bikes or All-terrain vehicles (ATVs) - there have been many fatalities involving quad bikes, including of children:
- Moving Hay Bales Safely
- From NSW: Safety in forest harvest operations Code of Practice [pdf]
- From Queensland: information and guidance on the agriculture industry.
- A resource from the European Agency for Safety and Health at Work specifically for the agricultural sector. This website has resources on key issues in the sector including musculoskeletal disorders, transport, dangerous substances, biological agents.
- From the UK's TUC - up to date information on Glyphosate a common weedkiller used all over the world. In March 2015 the International Agency on research into Carcinogens (IARC) announced that glysophate probably caused a type of cancer called non-Hodgkin lymphoma.
- From the UK's HSE:
- Agricultural health and safety this website provides essential information and guidance on health and safety in agriculture. It is relevant to everyone, whether as an employer, employee or self-employed person. The topic pages set out the main causes of injury and ill health and provide practical guidance to help improve health and safety on your farm. These include pages on machinery, farm transport, preventing falls, and more.
- Also a resource which can be downloaded free (or hard copies purchased): - Farmwise - Your essential guide to health and safety in agriculture. (September 2013)
- Canada's WorkSafeBC (British Colombia) has an Agriculture section and several 'interactive ebooks' and resources on topics such as Falls, Pesticides, and more
Last amended May 2015