There are a number of topics which need to go into a general OHS induction session:
- OHS Legislation: Overview of the OHS Act, including duties of all parties; consultative arrangements (the OHS reps and the committees); key regulations and codes of practice (those which are most relevant for your workplace)
- workplace policies and procedures (including the bullying/harassment policy; procedures to report hazards, incidents, injuries, and near misses; equal opportunity; hazardous substances; etc)
- what are the Designated Work Groups and who the OHS reps are
- major potential hazards in the workplace, potential effects, how to identify them, and how they are controlled in the workplace
- first aid arrangements, including who the first aiders are
- emergency evacuation procedures
- brief workers' comp and rehab rights
WorkSafe Victoria has Training topic page, and a number of publications providing useful advice:
- A Guidance Note - Employee Health and Safety Training, which provides advice on workplace OHS training in general.
- The construction industry has developed and an induction training program which has been agreed to by all stakeholders. While it is specific to construction, the document, the Construction industry induction training agreement, provides a good outline of what should be included in an induction program.
Last amended September 2014
Important Manufacturing Information