Too often the amenities provided on construction sites are appalling - and this is not good enough. Under Section 21 of the OHS Act, the employer must:
'provide, so far as is reasonably practicable, adequate facilities for the welfare of employees at any workplace under the management and control of the employer'
In order for employers to know what they need to do in order to ensure that they are complying with the OHS Act, there is now a Compliance Code - Facilities in Construction [pdf] which specifically addresses amenities on civil construction sites. This code, while not law, sets out expectations and has 'evidentiary status'.
HSRs and workers should use it to check the adequacy of facilities on site.
Last amended April 2020
Important Construction & Utilities Information
- Red Cards
- Rest/meal breaks - what am I entitled to?
- Ladders - What are the Rules and Regulations?
- Amenities on construction sites
- Electrical Equipment - What are the laws/guidelines?
- Forklift Safety
- Hard Hats - do they last for ever?
- Compressed Air
- Resuscitation Equipment
- Welding - what are the issues?
- Snakes on sites
- Other FAQs