Compliance codes, declared under the 2004 OHS Act, provide practical guidance to those who have duties or obligations under the Act. These now replace the old "Codes of Practice".
The compliance codes were developed after the 2004 OHS Act and aligned to the 2007 OHS Regulations. With the new OHS Regulations 2017 in effect, the compliance codes that align with the regulations were also under review. In March 2018 five new codes were released. This page will be updated as new codes are released.
The compliance codes now available are:
- Communicating occupational health & safety across languages, 2008
- Confined spaces, 2018
- Demolition, 2018
- Excavation, 2018
- Facilities in construction, 2018 (previously the Building and Construction Workplaces Code of Practice, 1990)
- First Aid in the workplace, 2008
- Foundries, 2008
- Hazardous manual handling, 2018 (previously the Manual Handling Code of Practice, 2000)
- Hazardous Substances, 2018
- Managing asbestos in workplaces 2019
- Removing asbestos in workplaces 2019
- Noise, 2018 (a new code based on Your health and safety guide to noise, 2007, and the Guide for assessing and fixing noise problems and work, 2005)
- Plant, 2018 (previously the Plant Code of Practice, 1995)
- Prevention of falls in housing construction 2018
- Prevention of falls in general construction 2018
- Workplace amenities and work environment, 2008
Go to the Workplace and Amenities section in FAQs for advice on specific matters which are dealt with in the First Aid and Workplace amenities and work environment codes.
Note: Development of other Compliance Codes was interrupted due to work on the national model Work Health and Safety regulatory package, wherein Model Regulations and Codes of Practice were being developed. However, in 2012, the Victorian Government determined not to adopt the national system and the process to update the compliance codes has been recommenced.
Following the implementation of the 2017 OHS Regulations, a number of draft compliance codes were released for public comment and these are being finalised. More draft codes have been released and eventually we will have the full set of compliance codes in Victoria.
Last amended January 2020