There are a number of publications you can refer to for more information on fatigue, impairment and shiftwork. Below is a list of resources and information available on fatigue, impairment and shift work from various sources.
Presenteeism, what is it?
Sedentary work Spending much of your time at work sitting down?.
Shiftwork - health effects There is increasing evidence becoming available that shift work can lead to very serious consequences.
- Shift-work and extended hours of work on the increase in many industries and organisations in Australia.
Work-Life Balance Hours of work are generally increasing, and work-life balance is becoming important.
Working standing up - can cause health problems and compound fatigue.
Driving - maximum kms or hours? Driving and fatigue is not specifically addressed in OHS legislation - read more.
The Eight Hour Day - where has it gone? Australia now has amongst the highest working hours in the developed world.
Alcohol and work what everyone should know.
- Workplace alcohol policies Resources and information to assist workplaces to develop alcohol policies.
Australian Council of Trade Unions (ACTU):
- Policy Alcohol and Other Drugs in the Workplace (2006) [pdf] The policy provides a framework for employers and workers to follow when dealing with issues relating to the consumption of
AODs and to meet their obligations under relevant OHS legislation.
- Shift Work Guidelines [pdf]
Fatigue Prevention in the Workplace - This guidance provides information on how to identify potential work-related fatigue hazards, determine work-related fatigue risks and how to control work-related fatigue hazards and risks
- Fatigue in Mines - A handbook for earth resources - newly published in 2009, the publication is designed to assist mine operators and workers in earth resources comply with the Occupational Health and Safety Act 2004 and Occupational Health (OHS Act) and Safety Regulations 2007 (OHS Regulations)
- Fact sheet: Shift work and Fatigue [pdf] on fatigue, working shifts and long hours. It provides information and advice on shift lengths, hours of work and more.
- Also, useful for ideas: A Shift Work Survey [pdf].
Safe Work Australia
Fatigue Safety topic page
- 2017 podcast: Managing shift work and workplace fatigue
- Video: Fresh thinking on a tired subject
Guide for Managing the Risk of Fatigue at Work (November 2013) provides guidance for persons conducting a business or undertaking and other duty holders on how to manage fatigue in the workplace. Originally intended to be a model Code of Practice, the document was then issued as a guide. Also Fatigue Management - A Worker's Guide.
- A report (2016) A Comparison of Work-Related Injuries Among Shiftworkers and Non-Shiftworkers Research has shown that the injury rate for shiftworkers is higher than the injury rate for non-shiftworkers. The aim of this report is to determine whether the elevated risk of shiftwork affects all groups of shiftworkers or only particular groups of shiftworkers. This is achieved by analysing statistics from a nationally representative survey that was undertaken in 2013–14.
The report also analyses the characteristics and outcomes of work-related injuries to determine whether there are significant differences between shiftworkers and non-shiftworkers.
- Work-related fatigue and job design - a video/seminar in which two leaders in workplace fatigue examine why fatigue management is important from both a worker and a business perspective and what businesses and workers can do to manage the risks caused by fatigue in the workplace.
Workplace Health and Safety Queensland
- A handbook for Preventing and managing fatigue-related risk in the workplace (PDF) which provides employers with further guidance as well as practical templates and tools to support the implementation of control measures. (June 2020). The Queensland regulator says the handbook has been developed to support the 2013 Safe Work Australia Guide for Managing the Risk of Fatigue at Work.
A Code of Practice on Working Hours [pdf] (2006) which promotes a holistic approach to identifying the hazards and assessing the risks of extended working hours.
Code of Practice - Working hours - Risk management guidelines [pdf]
a downloadable 'risk management fact sheet' [pdf] which is useful
From Workplace Health and Safety Queensland has information on Fatigue and also advice Fatigue management - a worker's guide.
- From the UK's Health and Safety Executive:
- a webpage: Shift work and Fatigue
- Fatigue and Risk Index Tool, to compare alternative patterns and help identify whether any particular aspect of an existing or proposed working time pattern is likely to increase the risk of fatigue.
- the HSE has many research reports on the topic
Shiftwork The UK Train drivers' union ASLEF has made its authoritative Shift-work, lifestyle and health guide available to us for our readers. The 32 page guide is thoroughly referenced and is intended 'to assist both the union's elected representatives and its members in coping with shift-work and the long hours culture in Britain's railways. The guide is a useful resource for anyone concerned about shift-work and long hours, whatever their industry.
Driving and fatigue
From NSW WorkCover information for the transport, postal and warehousing.
Health effects of shift work and extended hours of work [abstract] - JM Harrington, Occup Environ Med 2001; 58:68-72 (January)
From the Victorian Government Better Health website: Shiftwork - health effects
From the Workers Health Centre (NSW), a factsheet: Shiftwork and extended hours.
From the Canadian Centre for Occupational Health and Safety: What is the definition of "rotational shiftwork"?
- The Occupational Cancer Research Centre and the Institute for Work & Health (Canada) co-hosted a scientific symposium on the health effects of shift work on April 12, 2010 in Toronto. The aim was to provide an overview from leading scientific experts on current knowledge on the field, and identify key research gaps. A summary report, presentation slides, Issue Briefing (prepared as background for the symposium) and other information are available to download. Presentations include: 'Shift work and sleep disturbance'; 'Shift work and breast cancer: the need for mechanisms'; 'Shift work and adverse health effects: possible biological mechanisms'; 'Night work, night light and cancer: animal evidence' and much more.
- From the UK's TUC: A Hard Day's Night [pdf] - a 2015 report on the effect of shift work on work/life balance. It includes references to studies and some recommendations.
Last updated September 2020