NZ: DETENTION FOR ELECTRICIAN IN FATAL WIRING CASE

The recent prosecution of an electrician in New Zealand highlights the importance of carrying out proper testing for electrical tasks to prevent accidents.

The electrician has been sentenced to eight months of home detention and ordered to pay reparations after a building contractor died in an electric shock caused the electricians’ incomplete work.

He was hired to replace a kitchen extraction fan and install a new power point for a range hood. but failed to test the wiring properly nor identify that the old wiring was installed using an outdated method. This caused the range hood's metal parts to become electrified.

About 20 days later, when a building contractor touched the range hood's metal parts during minor work, he suffered a fatal electric shock.

WorkSafe New Zealand emphasise proper testing and verification of electrical work would have identified the issues with the cabling and prevented the tragedy.

Source: OHS Alert, 30 April

Share Tweet

RELATED

CONTROVERSIAL RULING: ONE WORK GROUP FOR 170 STAFF
In a NSW decision that sets a worrying precedent, an employer has successfully argued that its workplace should only have one work group instead of the five determined by the WHS Regulator....
Read More
TRAINING GAPS LEAD TO $400K FINE
Big Bell Gold Operations has been fined $400,000 after a contract worker was injured while performing a task that wasn't covered in his safety induction. The supervising task manager was also untrained....
Read More
LOW REWARDS, HIGH STRESS DRIVE BURNOUT
A study by Sweden's Karolinska Institute has found that a high effort-reward imbalance (ERI) significantly increases the risk of workers burning out, but high demands are only part of the problem.
Read More