VTHC Training for HSRs and Deputy HSRs
With Metropolitan Melbourne still in lockdown, the VTHC training courses continue to be delivered online (the only exception may be regional courses). If you've enrolled in a course and are not sure what's happening, then please contact Natalie Wood at [email protected] at the VTHC Training Unit.
Five day Initial Training Courses
It's extremely important for HSRs to complete the five day initial course - this ensures they have the best training to be able to understand their rights under the Act and represent the members of their DWGs. Here are the dates and locations of the courses:
- 8 - 12 November - Ringwood
- 15 - 19 November - Werribee
- 29 November - 3 December - Carlton (currently full)
- 13 - 17 December - Carlton
HSR Initial & Refresher training
Remember: if you haven't got around to doing your annual refresher, then you should enrol now: it's a very important 'update' on all the new stuff going on. Most HSRs do their initial training, but many do not then enrol in the subsequent 'Refresher' courses. All HSRs are entitled to, and should, attend 'Refresher Training' each year subsequent to completing the five day initial training.
Section 67 of the OHS Act 2004 entitles all OHS and Deputy Reps who have completed a 5 day initial training course to attend a one day refresher training course each year to keep their knowledge of OHS law and practice up-to-date. It's important to take this right up, as the Refresher training provides an opportunity to catch up with new legislation and material, meet with other HSRs, and further hone skills.
The refresher course covers:
- Session 1 - covers legislative update on the Victorian OHS 2004 Act, OHS Regulations 2007, WorkSafe compliance codes and guides.
- Session 2 - covers consultation, communication, problem solving.
- Sessions 3 & 4 - covers hazard identification and control with either manual handling, work related stress, incident investigation or hazard mapping.
Upcoming 2021 dates for Refresher training and locations:
- 26 October - Carlton
- 28 October - Frankston
- 15 November - Education focus: AEU, Abbotsford
- 26 November - Carlton
- 29 November - Bendigo
- 16 December - Carlton
Go to this link to find out about costs and to enrol in a five-day initial or a refresher course. Remember to then notify your employer at least 14 days before the course.