White Cards

The White Card is the basic OHS induction training for the construction industry. The 'White Card' (or its equivalent interstate induction card) is now a prerequisite for all workers, including apprentices, going on to Victorian construction sites.  

The construction induction card is of unlimited duration - that is, once the training has been completed, it does not need to be done again. (r347)

Induction cards from any jurisdiction requiring it under the WHS Act/regulations are mutually recognised in across Australia.  This important reform will make life easier for contractors operating in the border areas and for construction workers moving between the four states which, between them, account for more than 80% of the population, the workforce and the construction activity of Australia.

Victoria's White Card is endorsed by Foundations for Safety, our primary OHS forum for the construction industry. All stakeholders in the industry developed and agreed to this induction training program. 

The VTHC strongly recommends that workers enrol in union supported training. For more information, and to enrol, contact:

  • (construction workers) the CFMEU on 03 9341 3444,
  • (electricians) the EEIT on 03 8329 0000 (note new number),
  • (metals members; maintenance workers) the AMWU on 03 9230 5700, and
  • (plumbers) the CEPU on 03 9662 3388
If you are not a member of a union, then a number of other organisations are also registered to provide White Card training.

WorkSafe Victoria advises that an employer must accept any of the following things as evidence that the worker has done construction induction training:

  1. a construction induction card issued by WorkSafe following successful completion of induction training by an RTO;
  2. a 'red card', which shows that the person completed the previous Victorian Construction Industry Basic Induction Course, which existed before 1 July 2008. Red cards remain valid after 1 July 2008, and do not need to be transferred to construction induction cards;
  3. a construction statement of attainment issued by an RTO, pending processing of a construction induction card, or
  4. recognised evidence of construction induction training (e.g. a statement or card issued under similar requirements in another Australian state or territory).
More information:
Note:  The proof-of-training card, ie the White Card, is now issued by WorkSafe. Consequently, to replace a lost proof-of-training card, contact WorkSafe's Licensing Branch.

Last amended January 2022

More FAQs

Right to refuse unsafe work

Thousands of workers die or are injured because of on-the-job accidents each year. Many more are exposed to unhealthy conditions that cause serious illnesses years later...

Rest/meal breaks - what am I entitled to?

There's nothing specific in OHS legislation...

Weight limits - what are the legal limits for lifting?

The short answer to this is "There aren't any" -

Working alone – is it legal, is it safe?

There are increased risks when working alone - but in legal terms, there is no simple answer....

Volunteers in the workplace

 - are they covered by OHS Legislation?...

Ladders - What are the Rules and Regulations?

Working on ladders is a huge hazard - falls can lead to serious injury and even death....


... when is it safe to use one? And how should it be used?...

Personal Protective Equipment - PPE

 - when and how should this be used?...

Are there standards for reflective gear?

Dust masks - how effective are they?

Dust masks - how effective are they?...

Hard Hats - do they last for ever?

No they don't: hard hats, or safety helmets, have a 'use by date' or a  'working life'.