Prosecutions

Two 17 year olds scalded at KFC - employer fined $10k

Mylora Holdings Pty Ltd owns and operates a small number of Kentucky Fried Chicken retail fast food outlets including the store in Plenty Road, Bundoora. On 25 November 2017 at about 1.30pm, two 17 year-old workers both received scald burns to their body when hot water and steam spilt out of the Collectramatic pressure cooker they were cleaning. They had filled the cooker with water, added soap and closed the lid. At some point the cooker was turned on and left on for approximately half an hour – when they noticed, one of them turned it off at the main power point. One tried to release the pressure that had built up by manually releasing a valve on the lid, but when this happened the lid popped open, causing water and steam to flow out of the cooker onto both of them. They were taken to the Austin Hospital where their burns were treated and dressed. They were discharged on the same day.

Although the young workers had not followed the correct procedure for cleaning the cooker, the employer failed to provide an adequate and regular system of supervision for the safe cleaning operation of cookers for workers, particularly young workers.

Mylora pleaded guilty and was, without conviction, fined $10,000 plus $3,000 in costs.

To check whether there have been any recent prosecutions go to WorkSafe Victoria's Prosecution Result Summaries and Enforceable Undertakings webpage.

Share Tweet

RELATED

Events
Tuesday 9 March: Hospital Safety during the Pandemic, Central Safety Group  Speaker: Christina Rennick, St Vincent’s Hospital, Melbourne When the COVID-19 crisis exploded just over a year ago, the demand for special safety...
Read More
Prosecutions
Eight charges laid over apprentice jockey's death WorkSafe Victoria has charged a turf club and trainer following the death of an apprentice jockey who was thrown from a horse during trackwork. The 22-year-old woman...
Read More
Regulator News
Victorian news New Safety Alert: Falls from ladders WorkSafe has issued an alert to highlight the dangers of the incorrect selection, set up and use of portable ladders. Recently, two employees in...
Read More