WorkSafe Victoria (WSV) has issued a safety alert following two incidents in which workers were crushed, one fatally, while operating elevating work platforms (EWPs).
Both workers were trapped between the EWP's work platform and a fixed structure.
In the alert, WSV stresses effective operator protective devices, known as secondary guards, need to be fitted to EWPs, so far as is reasonably practicable, to protect against workers from being crushed against structures such as roofs, structural beams, cable trays and pipework.
The safety alert covers the following controls
- Use of secondary guarding
- Check what’s around the EWP
- Never operate an EWP alone
- Use a safety observer
- Ensure employees are trained to use the EWP safely
- Legal duties
- Further information and resources