WORKERS POISONED: ALERT ISSUED

A safety alert has been issued after two workers in a cool room experienced carbon monoxide poisoning.

The incident occurred because an LPG-fueled forklift was used inside the room, leading to the release of carbon monoxide.

Carbon monoxide is a dangerous gas that is hard to detect because it has no odor, taste, or color. When inhaled, it blocks the body's ability to absorb oxygen, resulting in symptoms such as headaches, fatigue, nausea, confusion, and dizziness.

The safety alert reminds employers of the life-threatening risks associated with using fuel-powered equipment in enclosed or poorly ventilated areas, and emphasizes that employers have a duty to limit workers' exposure to carbon monoxide.

WorkSafe NT advise avoiding the use of fuel-powered equipment in enclosed spaces to mitigate the risks.

Share Tweet

RELATED

QANTAS AGREES TO $21K COMPENSATION FOR DISCRIMINATION
Qantas Ground Services has agreed to compensate HSR Theo Seremetidis with $21,000 after a court found he was unlawfully discriminated against.
Read More
4-DAY WEEK WIN: WORKER CONSULTATION KEY
Medibank conducted a trial of a four-day work week, offering employees fewer meetings, more autonomy, and reduced low-value work.
Read More
PSYCH HAZARDS: SWA CEO SOUNDS ALARM
Safe Work Australia's CEO, Marie Boland, has affirmed the need for better management of psychosocial hazards in the workplace as the number of mental health compensation claims continues to rise.
Read More