Workplaces are full of chemicals and chemical substances. Some chemicals are 'hazardous' others are 'dangerous'. There is specific legislation covering both 'hazardous substances' and 'dangerous goods' - but employers have a duty to ensure that the use, handling, storage and transport of all chemical substances is safe and without risks to health. Scroll down on this page to see a full list of hazards associated with chemicals and resources you can use to address these hazards.
Resources for addressing chemical hazards
- Hazardous Substances - An introduction to Legislation
- Dangerous or Hazardous? What's the difference?
- Chemicals management in workplaces
- Material Safety Data Sheets
- Exposure Standards for Chemicals
- Chemicals - Useful websites
- Cancer - what causes it?
- Occupational cancer and Workers' Memorial Day
- Chemicals and contact lenses
- Dust masks - how effective are they?
- Dermatitis & other skin conditions
- Multiple Chemical Sensitivity
- Perfumes and scents: chemicals too!