Minister for Workplace Safety, Ingrid Stitt, has approved the making of the Managing Exposure to Crystalline Silica: Engineered Stone Compliance Code, and it subsequently came into effect, 15 November.
The code provides practical guidance for duty holders working with engineered stone, including:
- specific controls that must be used when cutting, grinding, or polishing engineered stone
- information that must be provided by manufacturers and suppliers
- engineered stone licences
- duties that apply to licence holders
- the duty not to supply to a person who requires a licence but does not have one
WorkSafe’s Silica Stakeholder Reference Group assisted in the code’s drafting and review, ensuring contributions from VTHC and our affiliates were incorporated during the code's development.
A copy of the code is available on WorkSafe’s website or by calling WorkSafe’s Advisory Service